Do you wish to get some DIY plumbing work done? Or perhaps you simply want to renovate your kitchen sink to make it look more trendy? No matter what the reason is, before getting any repair or replacement work done on your kitchen sink, you will turn off the water supply to it.
How to Turn Off Water Under Kitchen Sink?
Steps to turn off the water under kitchen sink
Follow these easy to follow steps to figure out how to turn off water under your kitchen sink.
- Turn the taps off.
- Open the cabinet present underneath the sink.
- Empty the cabinet of all items to provide you with abundant space to spot the pipes and valves mentioned below. Use a flashlight for further assistance.
- Spot the large PVC pipe. It is the sink drainpipe that runs in the horizontal direction to the back wall.
- Next to this pipe, you will see two metal pipes (or two flexible lines) that run from the faucet’s tailpiece into the wall or the floor. These pipes are the hot and cold water lines. The cold water line is usually on the right side while the hot one is on the left side.
- Trace these hot and cold water lines. Right before they enter into the wall, you will see a lever or a knob on each pipeline.
- In case of a knob, turn it clockwise. This should shut off the water supply.
- In case of a lever, the water supply line is open if the lever is parallel to the pipeline. Turn it to a right angle (should be perpendicular) to the pipeline to shut it off.
- Turn the knobs/levers for both water lines. Then, open the taps to allow any remaining water to drain out.
What should you do if you cannot spot the valves?
Sometimes, the pipes underneath the sink do not have visible knobs or levers on them. In this scenario, follow the steps given below.
- If the pipes don’t have any visible valves on them, check in your basement. In your basement, look for the area where the kitchen pipes enter and spot the shutoff valves there.
- Alternatively, you can also access the water heater area if you can’t spot the shut off valves. You will see two pipes by the water heater. One of them will be hot (leading out of the water heater); this pipe will provide warm water to the entire household. The other pipe that bypasses the heater will be cold. Locate the shutoff valves on these pipes and turn them clockwise if they are knobs and turn them perpendicular if they are levers.
- If the kitchen shut off valve does not turn the water off completely, you can always shut off the main valve that supplies water to the whole house. The valve is located on the main water line that supplies water to all the taps and lines in the house (the line is found next to the meter).
- In cities with extremely cold, the temperatures, the main water line and the meter are located in a utility space, garage or basement.
- In cities that mostly experience warmer temperatures, the main shutoff valve and meter are located outside.
- Once you shut off the main valve, open the highest and lowest faucet in your house to drain out any remaining water in the line.
PEX Manifold Systems
Recently, PEX Manifold systems have become very common. These systems control the route of water to different household fixtures using individual levers. These levers will be present on the water supply line between the source and the water heater. Turn off all the levers to ensure that the one supplying the kitchen sink is shutoff.
Now that the water supply is off, you can proceed with repairing or replacing any part of your kitchen sink easily and safely.
Once you are done with the repair work, simply turn the lever parallel to the pipeline or turn the valves counterclockwise to open the valve to turn the water supply back on.
This short guide has been written with the intention to help you understand how to turn off water under kitchen sink so that you can do it on your own. These tips are meant to offer you a short but precise guide on how to do it easily and without any extra expense.
Do you want to know how to measure a kitchen sink? We have done some research for you to find out exactly how you can do it easily by following our tips.
Want to know how to fix a leaky kitchen sink? This short guide will help you to know how you can do it on your own and without paying a single penny to anyone.