Do you want to know how to measure a kitchen sink? Well, in this post I will sharing with you precise methods to do so easily.
Considering all the actions that the kitchen sinks face, it is no surprise that they lose their shine and luster over time. Thus, you might want to replace your old worn-out sink with a new chic one to give your kitchen that wow factor.
With thousands of kitchen sinks available in the market, finding one that meets your requirements and matches your kitchen is quite easy. The only tricky part if finding a sink that will fit perfectly in your countertop. For this, you will need to measure your old kitchen sink.
Before you begin measuring your sink, make sure that you have the following equipment on hand.
- Tape Measure
- Straight ruler/level/straightedge
How to Measure a Kitchen Sink?
Measuring the Sink
There are three methods that you can use to measure your sink accurately. All of them have been described in detail below.
Method #1- Using the Old Sink
- Firstly, use the ruler to measure the depth of the sink. Place the ruler across the bottom and top of the sink. This is important because you need a sink that has the same depth; not an inch deeper or shallower.
- Next comes the length of the sink. This is the area above the slight curve in the sink. Use the measuring tape to help you measure the length from the right side to the left side of the sink (horizontal measurement from side to side).
- Now that you know the depth and length, you need to measure the width. You can do this by measuring the distance between the far ends of the sink near the wall to the end that is close to you (vertical measurement from back to front). (Tip: The length of the sink will be longer than its width. Don’t confuse the two)
- You need to measure the width of the sink’s lip (the lip extends from the sink basin onto the countertop). Use your measuring tape for this purpose. You will also need to uninstall the sink and flip it upside down to take this measurement.
- Finally, you need to measure the width of the cabinet opening. For this, you will need to crawl into the cabinet underneath the sink and take a measurement of the cutout in the cabinet. Place your measuring tape along the sink’s underside and measure from the cabinet’s top left corner to the top right corner. If your new sink is wider than this, it will not fit in the cabinet cut out.
Method #2- Measure the Countertop Hole
- Disconnect the sink from all the pipes and connections. Then, use the help of a friend to carefully pull out the old sink so that you can measure the sinkhole in the countertop.
- Once the old sink is out of your way, use the measuring tape to measure the length and width of the countertop hole (From side to side and from back to front).
- Use these measurements to help pick out a new sink that will fit perfectly in your countertop. The measurements of the new sink are written on its box. For a top mount sink, you need dimensions that are a little smaller than your countertops as its lip will rest on the countertop. However, in the case of an under mount sink, the dimensions of the countertop hole and sink should be the same for it to fit.
Method #3- Measuring the New Sink to make an appropriate hole in the countertop
- Most sinks come with their own template. If you choose a sink with an existing template, you will not have to make extra measurements.
- If the sink does not have a template, make your own template by following the steps given below.
- Place the new sink upside down on the countertop. Leave a 1.5 inches space between the sink’s back and your backsplash.
- Trace the outline of your new sink on the countertop using a marker.
- Once the outline is drawn, put the sink safely away.
- You will need to measure the lip of the sink if it is a top mount one. Do this by flipping the sink upside down and measuring the distance between the basin and the edge of the lip.
- Now, add the width of the lip to your template. Do this by subtracting 0.32 cm from the lip’s width that you just measured. Mark this new measurement inside the outline that you drew on the countertop.
- Connect the lines you have drawn using a straightedge. This will complete your template.
- Use the template as a guide to cut a hole in your countertop for your new sink.
Can you pressure wash in cold weather? The answer is yes provided you take precautionary measures and do things in right way.
Want to know how to turn off water under kitchen sink? We have done some research for you to find out exactly how you can do it with minimal effort & low cost.